Apparently we’ve got a Psychic Showdown! I capitalized that as if Psychic Showdown was a reality show. It’s not. Not yet anyway, but I may just have predicted it. The Psychic Showdown this week is between me and The Simpsons. My psychitude abilities are well documented here on my blog. (Click THIS if you want to read those posts. If you can find it on Google, it must be true.) The world’s most famous cartoon, The Simpsons, made news this past week when The United States curling team won the Olympic gold medal, which was predicted in the Simpsons episode from Feb. 14, 2010 titled Boy Meets Curl. That’s not all they’ve predicted! Here are the top ten Psychic Simpsons predictions which have come true:
10: USA wins curling gold! (Feb. 10, 2014)
9. Siegfried and Roy’s Tiger Attack: Season 5, Episode 10, Mr. Burn’s opened a casino at which there was a magician act featuring two German magicians. Their show ended in tragedy when they were attacked by their tiger. In 2003, ten years later, during a Siegfried and Roy show in Las Vegas, Roy was attacked on stage by a white Bengal tiger.
8. President Trump: In a 2000 episode called Bart To The Future Lisa Simpson becomes President of the United States and says to her advisers, “As you know, we’ve inherited quite a budget crunch from President Trump,”
7. Disney buying Fox: In a 1998 episode titled When You Dish Upon a Star, a sign outside of a building is shown that reads “20th Century Fox, a Division of Walt Disney Co.” In Dec. 2017, just a little over two months ago Disney announced a deal to acquire a significant share of the Fox networks assets.
6. NSA Spying Scandal: Remember back in 2013 when American defector Edward Snowden blew the whistle on the U.S. government monitoring private citizens electronic communications? (I made fun of the scandal in THIS top ten list in 2013) In a 2007 episode the Simpsons family is on the run from the government and are located because the NSA by listening in on one of their cell phone conversations. Go ahead, click the NSA link in the last sentence. I dare you.
5. The Horse Meat Scandal: In 2013 it was big news when it was discovered that some fast food restaurants used horse meat in their burgers. (To be honest, I’m happy any time they use any kind of real meat) In a 1994 episode of The Simpsons, the Springfield Elementary school was caught secretly using horse meat in their cafeteria.
4. The Simpsons seem to have predicted both The Big Bang Theory and the secret to the Universe: In a 1998 episode Homer decided to become an inventor. In the episode he was shown writing on a chalkboard with an equation that predicted the mass of the yet-to-be-discovered “God particle.” According to Dr. Simon Singh, a physicist “If you work it out, (the equation on the chalkboard) you get the mass of a Higgs boson that’s only a bit larger than the nano-mass of a Higgs boson actually is,” he told the Independent. “It’s kind of amazing as Homer makes this prediction 14 years before it was discovered.”
3. They Predicted a Nobel Prize Winner 6 years ahead!: In a 2010 episode Krusty wins a Nobel Peace Prize. In the episode, the characters had a betting pool on who would win the award. Bengt R. Holmstrom was predicted by Millhouse, who really did win the prize for Economics in 2016.
2. Clothing the David statue: In a 1990 episode a duplicate of Michelangelo’s David statue is brought to Springfield. Some Springfield citizens protested to have the nude statue covered up. In 2016 when a duplicate of the David statue was brought to St. Petersburg, Russia, citizens protested to have the naughty bits covered up.
1. The first iPod: The picture above is from a 1996 episode. The first iPod didn’t debut until 2001.
So there you have it. Trust me, there are many, many more examples of The Simpsons predicting the future. So tell me, who is your favorite psychic, The Phil Factor or Bart Simpson?
Have a great Tuesday! ~Phil#PHIL2020