When you were ever a kid and you got dragged along on grocery shopping trips the only highlight was the cereal aisle. Don’t you remember turning into that aisle and seeing rays of light from above reflecting off every cartoon face on every box as you were serenaded by a chorus of angels. You had found the promised land. This is my list of the Top Ten Best Cereals ever.
10. Rice Krispies: Looking back I think I took Rice Krispies for granted. Think about it; if any other food made noise the entire time you were eating it you’d freak out. A food that makes noise! How cool is that?
9. Cap’n Crunch Crunchberries: Regular Cap’n Crunch was good but once you add those big, fat, flavorful “berries,” how good was that? I don’t know why they didn’t just make the cereal all berries.
8. Boo Berry: Seasonal cereal? Boo Berry, Franken Berry and Count Chocula actually invented the seasonal food/flavor idea that is now used liberally with pumpkin in the Fall and Nog in the Winter. And the milk turns blue? Love it. Anybody know why the ghost on the box looks so depressed?
7. Franken Berry: Pink milk? Strawberry flavor? Halloween theme? Yes please!
6. Cinnamon Toast Crunch: Now we’re getting into the serious heavy hitters. Sugar and cinnamon? Why not just use maple syrup instead of milk? How great would that be?
5. Lucky Charms: They are magically delicious. How can you argue with that? For fun, if you’re at work and someone is describing something and they pause to search their mind for just the right word, that’s when you yell out “magically delicious!” Always gets a laugh. And no, that is not me on the front of the cereal box.
4. Cocoa Puffs: They’re chocolate and the milk turns into chocolate milk. If that doesn’t make you happy then you have a serious endorphin deficit, which is usually cured by a great big bowl or cereal for dinner.
3. Cookie Crisp: This cereal was created by an evil genius. It’s cookies pretending to be cereal! Internet shminternet! Cookie Crisp may be the best invention ever. Screw it. Tomorrow for breakfast I’m having a bowl of Girl Scout cookies in milk.
2. Frosted Flakes: Despite what I said about Cookie Crisp, Frosted Flakes deserve a higher ranking as a lifetime achievement award. During the Revolutionary War, do you know why the colonial soldiers threw the tea in the harbor? Because they couldn’t bring themselves to throw the Frosted Flakes in even though they were widely regarded as more valuable. The incident was very close to having been called the Boston Frosted Flakes Party. That’s a true fact that I made up.
1. Cap’n Crunch’s Peanut Butter Crunch: This cereal is Cap’n Crunch’s Peanut Butter Crunch just like the speakers are Beats by Dr. Dre. This one is my all time favorite. Why? Because it tastes like peanut butter. Duh!
Ok, now it’s your turn. How would you rank these differently? Are there any you love that you’d put in the Top Ten? Please don’t say oatmeal. If you do I may have to block you from my blog. What about other countries? Are there any cereals I should go to great lengths to import? Have a great Tuesday! ~Phil