We all have things that we love more than anyone else seems to right? A particular TV show that for some reason cracks us up no matter how bad it is, or maybe it’s that Pumpkin Spice Latte you look forward to every fall. Some of these things makes us quirky or endearing, hopefully. These are my ten:
10. My hot tub: I have one up at a little family summer cottage. It kills me that I can’t have one at my regular home. I only get to use my hot tub about 5 months out of the year. When I’m there on summer weekends I get up and have my morning coffee in it. I usually take a mid-day soak and in the evening I sit in it with a glass of wine. Is that too much? I probably look all pruney all summer.
9. My Kindle: I purchased my first Kindle in 2007 in the first week that they were available. I paid $400 for it and I think it was worth every cent. Even though I’ve moved on to the color screen Kindle Fire, I still keep that original Kindle in a drawer tucked away safely as if it is a precious relic. I love Kindle’s so much that on several occasions when I’ve been in a store and passed shoppers looking at Kindle’s I’ve stopped to answer questions that I overheard. Once I interrupted a store employee because he was not knowledgeable enough in response to a customer question.
8. Solving TV and movie mysteries: Don’t sit next to me during your favorite suspense show or murder mystery movie. I’m the guy that will lean over seven minutes in and whisper in your ear, “It’s the wife. The wife really did it because…” I’m surprisingly good at it. I’m good to the point that I don’t always fully enjoy a show or movie because I get frustrated that the main character isn’t figuring it out as quickly as me.
7. Cheez-Its: Yes, the small, square, orange crackers. I love them irrationally and in all their flavors. Unfortunately I recently read something that may have said that the stuff they use to make them orange is the equivalent of rat poison and may cause cancer. That being said, I’ve significantly reduced my Cheez-It intake. I may love Cheez-Its, but I love me more.
6. Table tennis/ping pong: In my life I have been better at ping-pong than I have been at anything else. Yeah, I had a special case to carry my paddle in. There isn’t many feelings as satisfying as feeling as if you have complete mastery of a particular skill. I’m not as good as I once was, but once I’m as good as I ever was.
5. A mosh pit: I don’t mean a mosh pit where people are flailing their arms and injuring each other. I just want to be packed in with a bunch of people jumping in time to the music and passing crowd surfers over your head. You can just feel the energy and electricity of the crowd. My next one is related to this…
4. Green Day: The legendary, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted pop-punk band that I’ve seen several times and have followed for over 20 years now. Even if you’re not a fan of their music I think you’d enjoy their show. They aren’t just young kids playing loud and swearing onstage any more. They’ve matured into consummate showmen that know how to put on a professional show that entertains. Here is a picture I took at their concert in my town the last time I saw them:
3. Technology: I love new devices and apps. I’m an android guy in an iPhone world. If it’s new, shiny and electronic I want it.
2. Blogging: Nope, I’m not kidding. I love creating blog posts and getting comments from other bloggers. I also love reading blogs so that I get to see a genuine slice of another persons world. I’ve learned a lot about other countries and cultures through blogging. That’s why The Phil Factor turns 11 in a few weeks.
1. Me: That’s right. I irrationally love myself. I think my writing is better than others probably do. When I look in the mirror I’m sure I see myself as taller and better looking than others do. I can’t understand why more people don’t recognize my brilliance in all things. You know what though? If there’s one thing in this world you should have irrational, unconditional love for it should be yourself. HA! See what I did there? I was going all funny and cute with the post and then I took a right turn onto life lesson lane. It’s no wonder I love myself. I’m awesome. And so are you.
So what are the things that you irrationally love?
Have a great Tuesday night. ~Phil