I love live music. There’s not much better than the energy of a crowd enjoying a live performance. At this point in my life I’ve seen hundreds of bands live, many of them iconic. These are my favorite ten bands that I’ve seen live.10. Fall Out Boy: I first heard about them from a sampler CD that was being given away for free as I left a concert for another band. The video below isn’t them live, but I thought you’d want to hear their remake of the Ghostbusters song for the new movie soundtrack.
9. New Politics: They’re different. If you don’t know their music, check it out. The lead singer does backflips and break dances on stage.8. Paramore: Fun music, great band, entertaining show. Lead singer Hayley Williams is not very large as far as human beings go, but on stage she has a powerful voice and never stops moving.
7. Nothing Personal: My son’s band. I couldn’t leave them off the list or my son would be hurt. He’ll still be mad that he’s ranked 7th. I just didn’t want to show nepotism and I want him to work harder to get to no.1.
6. 3OH!3: I just saw them last night at the Alternative Press Music Awards. Flat out fun live. Always a crazy crowd and you can’t help but to jump to their music. Scroll down to yesterdays Phil Factor for a sample.
5. Motion City Soundtrack: I just saw them last month in Philadelphia on their final tour. Clever, catchy, pop lyrics. Their stage show is stripped down. No laser lights or explosions, just a great band playing great music with a lead singer Justin Pierre who was probably voted least likely looking rock star in high school.4. Panic! At The Disco: Their front man, Brendon Urie, is my son’s favorite performer. The bands music is kind of pop alternative rock and Brendon has a Broadway voice and a theatrical stage presence in their shows.
3. All Time Low: They’re a very popular alternative rock band that does a great job at being down to Earth and connecting with their fans. Their shows are full of witty banter with the crowd.2. Phish: I’ve only seen this modern day Grateful Dead type band live twice, but one of those times was a doozy. It was at an outdoor venue so as you can imagine, things get a little looser. At their shows the crowd is more entertaining than the band.
1. Green Day: If you’re a long time reader of my blog you know my love of Green Day. I’ve been a fan of theirs for their entire twenty-something year career. I think it’s cool that guys my age are still popular and playing cool music.
So what are your favorite bands to see live?
Great list! For me Foo Fighters, The Cure, REM, and 21 Pilots pretty much blew me away too. Glad you had fun last night!
I saw REM in 89. I haven’t seen any of your others
When they toured with 10,000 Maniacs?!?
Yes! Don’t tell me that you saw them then too?!!?
Too funny. I shouldn’t be surprised by these things by now.
I’m going to apply for the job as the 4th golden boy! 😂😂😂
You’d probably fit right in
I even have my own fishing gear! 😜
I don’t !
My fishing gear is a credit card and a restaurant
The show last night was fun. A lot of collaborations. The weirdest was Rob Halford of Judas Priest singing with a Japanese girls heavy metal band.
I don’t know if I can forgive you for this…
Leave The CheeseBergens off of your list.
LOL, once I see them live Im sure the CheeseBergens will no longer be pissed because then they’ll top my list.
Do you think you can get to L.A.
Two weeks from this Saturday
If you arrive and pay admission
Surely all will be forgiven.
I was a Green Day fan back in the day! I think they’d still be pretty cool to watch in concert!
They are. They’ve really polished their live shows and they really interact with the audience.
I enjoyed the list, but haven’t seen anything live since Three Dog Night in Marin County. (don’t ask how long ago either)
I thoroughly enjoyed Bon Jovi live a few years ago.
I love O.A.R.! Every time I go to one of their concerts, I have a natural high for hours afterward.
DSB (Don’t Stop Believin’), a local Journey cover band, is awesome!
I’ve never head O.A.R. What kind of music? I’ve heard of them
Alternative rock. I like the energy. At the same time, it’s calming. They went to Ohio State and played in clubs there at the same time my hubby was in college at Dayton. He saw them all the time before the were big
I was just at Ohio State on Monday for the Alternative Press Music Awards!
I’ve not seen any of them, but I do remember watching a vid where Green day invited a kid up to play on stage with them and he was awesome! I’m more of a cheesy stadium rock girl – I’ve seen Bon Jovi five times, Thunder, Van Halen, Springsteen, Bryan Adams, that sort of thing. Oh, and The Spice Girls.
Nice list. Yes, Ive seen Green Day invite 4 audience members up on stage to replace the whole band and they watch while a bunch of kids plays one of their songs. From your list, I have no idea who Thunder is. I’ll have to look them up
Actually, All Time Low, that’s on my list is tremendously popular in London. I think they’ve played the SSE Arena in Wembley in March last year.