I wonder if Kanye is on to something? Is it possible that the quintessential, iconic Christmas movie It’s a Wonderful Life could have, should have been better? I say yes, and here are ten things George would have done if he were a morally questionable protagonist.
10. George should have punched Sam Wainwright: The first time that dolt popped up and said “Hee haw!” George should have punched him in the throat. Then he should have done it every other time until Sam learned to shut the hell up.
9. Violet: ‘Nuff said.
8. Mr. Gower: George could have been a wealthy young man had he chosen to blackmail Pharmacist Gower over almost killing that kid by putting the wrong meds in the bottle. Especially after Mr. Gower hit him on his bad ear. A little hush money never hurt anybody.7. George should have punched Clarence the Angel: If that were my guardian angel, I might choose not to go to Heaven if I have to hang out with him for all eternity.
6. George should have thrown a rock at the neighbor who told him to shut up and kiss Mary.5. George should have been arrested by the town cop first for throwing the rock at the neighbor (see #6) and for vandalizing the house.
4. George shouldn’t have given Mary the robe back when she was in the hydrangea bush.
3. George should have pulled his brothers fiance’ aside and told her that his brother Harry is a big cheater and he would leave her, just like he did his other wives. Then heartbroken Harry takes over the Building & Loan and George goes to college.
2. He should have taken that job that Potter offered him! Adjusted for inflation, that was the equivalent of a six figure salary nowadays. Btw, if you weren’t aware, the actor that played Mr. Potter is Drew Barrymore’s great uncle.
1. Throw Billy under the bus: No, not literally. But when Uncle Billy lost that $8000 I would have ratted him out to the police in about two seconds.
So , what do you think? How about a modern re-make with a realistic George Bailey? The guy was miserable almost constantly until they had a nice party and bailed him out at the end. What happens after that party? Clarence gets his friggin’ wings but George is stuck going back to the life he was already so miserable in. Would other changes would you make to It’s a Wonderful Life?
Have a great Tuesday! ~ Phil
Huh. I will never be able to watch this movie without thinking of all these things… Thanks a lot, Phil! 🙁
Are you kidding? Come on, don’t you think it would be really interesting if George Bailey was more morally questionable and selfish? he completely dichotomous protagonist who only sees the world one way is boring. Seriously, who does not want him to punch uncle Billy and turn them into the cops? Uncle Billy makes me so furious
Haha! Uncle Billy is infuriating!
Truth be told though, I would probably be very George Bailey like in the same circumstances.
And that is not a bad thing at all… <3
These are all terrific suggestions
Which number from 1 until 10
Before I could deign to add to it
I think I’d have to watch the film again.
You’re amazing. You can rhyme anything. In addition to that you and your family sing. I know this is a lame rhyme but at the moment I don’t have more time
Yeah Phil I know what you mean
It’s hard to rhyme and make it clean.
Gee, Phil, you’ve ‘hit’ (literally and figuratively!) all the high points of one of my favorite, albeit sentimental, movies. Here’s another just for fun, though: George should’ve roasted Uncle Billy’s bird (crow? raven?) and pulled that string on his finger until it turned blue & cut off the old guy’s circulation. Now that would be a morally questionable & repugnant George Bailey, abusing animals and seniors both! (Although Mr. Potter/Barrymore of course deserves a lot of blame for not returning the $8K that Uncle Billy misplaced.) But now that I’m older, I appreciate the teacher’s husband’s response as to why Zuzu (and her petals) was/were sent home without a coat . . . 🙂
I forgot about the teacher thing. I think George was definitely out of line there. Could you tell I made this list while watching the movie?
Uncle Billy should never have been in charge of anything! Him losing the money? That’s all on George.
Thanks for the additional information, Phil. Gotta see how it plays this year when I watch the movie again.
Love the Kanye pic!
Pingback: Top Ten Tuesday! The Ten Best Christmas Movies EVER! | The Phil Factor
Pingback: The Ten Best Christmas Movies EVER! | The Phil Factor
Pingback: The Ten Best Christmas Movies EVER? Let the Debate Begin! | The Phil Factor
Pingback: The Ten Best Christmas Movies Ever? Let the Debate Begin! - The Phil Factor