Yes, The Beatles made my list. Read on to find out which song.These are the songs that make my brain want to seize and I hit the change station button on the first note. I apologize that many of these are over twenty years old. That’s the last time I listened to pop music because most of it is terrible.
10. Rick Astley- Never Gonna Give You Up: A song so bad that it became a joke known as Rickrolling, to send your friends a link, tell them it’s something else and have them open it up to discover this piece of crap.
9. We are the World: A bunch of formerly good artists: Yes, I know it was done to raise money to feed the hungry or something, but I don’t care how hungry I am, this song will make me vomit.
8. The Beatles: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da: I don’t care that it’s The Beatles. This song is stupid. Nonsense lyrics are always bad. Just ask The Police.
7. Diesel: Sausalito Summer Nights: This might be the worst ever. If you don’t remember it, click on the video below and listen to about 30 seconds. This song should be used as torture for prisoners of war, although I think the United Nations call that cruel and unusual punishment.
6. Just a Friend: Biz Markie: This is the Sausalito Summer Nights for a new generation. A shout out to my friend Jim Bernheimer who gave me the idea for this when a character in his book played this on a loop to torture someone they were holding captive.
5. Come on Eileen: Dexy’s Midnight Runners: I’m pretty sure the band was saying “Come on Eileen, don’t leave. Our music isn’t that bad.” Yes guys, it is.
4. Smoke on the Water: Deep Purple: Ugh. This three chord monstrosity has stood the test of time. I think it’s the first song every 10 year old learns at their first guitar lesson. You can’t go into a guitar store without hearing somebody playing it.
3. Stars are Blind: Paris Hilton: Do I really need to make any commentary for this? To be honest, I’ve never heard this song, but I’m pretty sure it deserves to be here.
2. What Does The Fox Say: Ylvis: It may have been hilariously funny but it is a terrible piece of music. What the hell though. Those Norwegians need something to smile about.
1. Stone Temple Pilots: Plush: Where ya’ going with that mask I found? And I feel, and I feel. When the dogs begin to smell her, will she smell alone? WORST SONG LYRIC IN THE HISTORY OF PLANET EARTH.
If you have ideas or suggestions of songs that you find equally reprehensible please add them in the comments. Have a great Tuesday! ~Phil
Number 5 is my favourite! How could you?! *shakes fist* 😂
Aaah! I thought you Brits might come out to defend your heroes. I’m surprised you didn’t pick Rick Astley. To be honest, I go back and forth on Come On Eileen. Some days if it comes on the radio I’m OK with it and others days I can’t change the station fast enough.
What, William Shatner didn’t make the list!!??
No way! I love his collaboration with the band Pulp. Do you know his song Common People? It’s brilliant!
I can’t get behind that
I agree with your #8 so much. Vehemently dislike that one.
A Horse with No Name by America [lyrics make no sense]
Brandi You’re a Fine Girl by Looking Glass [makes my skin crawl]
Arizona by Mark Lindsay [the ultimate ear worm tune]
I don’t know the song Arizona, I disagree on Brandi, I agree completely on A Horse With No Name but I think it’s so bad it’s funny.
Do not go listen to Arizona. Once you hear it, you’re sunk.
Ok, I will take your word for it. Although now I’m starting to feel curious about it…
#6. Of course, I know the scene in the book, but I’d never actually heard the song before. I have now listened to more of it than I ever wanted to. It think I would have cracked long before Aphrodite did.
How come none of Kanye’s songs made the list? LOL
Because I don’t know any of them!
Amen to that! Me neither!!
Beatles, Deep Purple,STP fits the bill?
Come on Eileen, what are you thinking Phil?
These songs may be annoying and I won’t refute it
But have you heard some of the new crap they’re trying to pass off as music?
Anyone with a banjo trying to call it rock
In my opinion, they all should be shot!
Of rhyming comments you are the best
That’s an argument that should be put to rest.
Rick Astley and Dexys Midnight Runners? Worst ever? Noooo. I’m holding out for them doing a collaboration. Interestingly Rick has just announced a new tour 🙂
LOL, I partly included Rick and Dexy’s just to provoke some of my U.K. friends. Mission accomplished!
Rick will always be part of my growing up years memories. No one can take that away lol
Maybe I’ll request them both on your show Saturday
You defo should
You should, really
I wasn’t kidding. I plan to. Maybe ever 10 minutes I’ll request one of the songs from my list
Haha. I don’t think the show will be on this Saturday evening and no, not just because you will be requesting those haha
Well I’m making a list and waiting for the next episode
In fact I think I may ask my readers to request all the songs on my list. Or why don’t you make it a theme for your show? The worst songs ever! How fun would that be?
Could be a show in itself
I was serious. I think it’s a fun idea
Maybe you could even help present it?
How could I do that?
We can work it out
That would be very cool. I’d like that.
Ok leave it with me
I’m not a complete moron when it comes to technology. I can probably handle whatever you need me to do.
I didn’t doubt it 🙂
Grerat list. Bobby Goldsbourgh had a song called “Honey.” UGH
“One day she was all alone and the angles came and called her home and Honey I miss you and I’m beiing gooooodddddd. ” urp
Fortunately I’ve been lucky enough to never have heard that song! I suppose we all have our own personal lists of worst songs ever.
https://youtu.be/HW1GpxB0LH8 Have a look
That is hilariously bad! I clicked play thinking I’d listen to 30 seconds and I’d comment back to you that it was indeed very bad, but the incredibly stupid, corny, ridiculous lyrics sucked me in and I couldn’t stop listening. Just when I thought I had heard the dumbest song lyric ever he followed it with another one. Thank you for this precious gift of colossally bad music. That had to be the worst of his era. And the video clips interspersed were just as bad! I think I may request that Steve Says play that on his radio show this Saturday.
It was on the #1 list for five weeks bad.(I had to live through it)
I like five of those.
Will she smell alone is AWESOME. Do you even have a dog, Phil?!?
That Heart song about how she sleeps with some guy at a bar and has his baby. Wretched, wretched tune. “When he saw his own eyes…”
I’m not sure I’ve heard that Heart song. I probably have but never paid attention to the lyrics
Paris Hilton? Hahahaha I didn’t know she put out a song. Gawd
She put out a whole album apparently.
I can’t even imagine. Nor do I want to! lol
Hey, hands off Rick, he’s an idol from back in the day .. the face just didn’t fit the voice 🙂
LOL, it’s funny how many people have come to the defense of Rick Astley. You wouldn’t happen to be British would you?
I’m a Brit, but don’t hold it against me 🙂
I love my British friends! I’ve been to London once and loved it. You’d also be surprised at how much BritishTV shows I watch.
Unless you’re a Brit of a certain age (this is from 1978) you won’t have heard this from Kenny Everett – just try the no 1 ‘I want my baby back’ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8O9y1e3Dom0vGIR6KL0y_urZJqKcmvSp
And then there is Telly Savalas with If https://youtu.be/J94-_w9ARX0 and Max Bygraves deck of cards.. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Max+Bygraves+Songs&&view=detail&mid=71CBE5555B802DA5991771CBE5555B802DA59917&FORM=VRDGAR Really Phil we don’t make sh*t like this anymore..
Unfortunately, right now I’m on my way to work. I’ll have to check it out when I get home later. Thanks. This has been the funny part of this post is somebody else also sent me a link to a hilariously bad song . I’m looking forward to yours.
Pingback: Top Ten Tuesday! The Top Ten Top Tens | The Phil Factor
Despite being a Beatles fan I whole-heartedly agree with no.8, BUT leave our Rick Astley alone, Phil. Step away from the Astley.
There’s really nothing wrong with Rick Astley, but he is a bit of a joke here in the states
Haha he’s bit of a joke of here too.
Paris Hilton deserves to be on that list simply because she is alive. And I can’t believe you put Stone Temple Pilots on it! They are 90’s alternative grunge heros; circa nirvana, pearl jam, Alice in chains. Blasphemy! 🙃🙃😆😆😆😆
I like some 90’s grunge but the Stone Pimple Pilots are not on that list! I never listened to the Paris Hilton song but out her on the list for exactly the reason you said, she’s Paris Hilton and she should just shut up.