Thanks to the Netflix/Hulu era, everyone in every country can watch the popular TV shows from anywhere, so regardless of your home country, I hope you’ll know some of these. Although this is going to be a very United States centric list, I’d love to hear suggestions and maybe links in the comments to anything from anywhere else. This was the toughest Top Ten list that I’ve ever put together.
10. Scooby Doo: Yes, the cartoon theme song. I requested that this be played for my first dance at my wedding but my bride Velma objected.
9. The Golden Girls: I can’t vouch for this because I never watched the show, but in a lot of other online lists this was included. I didn’t even listen to it when I added it to this list.
8. The Love Boat: Love, exciting and new. Climb aboard, we’re expecting you! When I was a kid I had very little realization that the entire show was about people trying to have sex on a cruise.
7. The Big Bang Theory: A masterpiece by the quick singing lyrical geniuses of The Barenaked Ladies.
6. Family Guy: How could you not sing along to this?
5. Mission Impossible: No lyrics, but iconic nonetheless. Who doesn’t feel some sort of pressure to get something done quickly when you hear this?
4. The Brady Bunch: “All of them had hair of gold, like their mother.” Who doesn’t know that line?
3. Friends: I hate to be the hipster guy who says “I knew this band before anyone heard of them”, but yeah, I had their album before the Friend’s theme song on cassette tape, so suck it losers.
2. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: This is still Will Smith’s best work to date.
1. Cheers: Who doesn’t want a bar that feels like home where everyone knows your name?
That’s it. I feel like I needed to make this a Top 20 list to include all the worthy possibilities. What would you add to the list? What would you take off of it? My blogging friend Haylee recently did a great post about TV theme songs as well. You can check it out HERE
Have a great Tuesday! ~Phil
I do love a good theme tune! I’ve included a link to the post I did on my favourites a few weeks ago – some similarities – didn’t even think about Fresh Prince though *hangs head*
I missed your post. On my way to check it out now!
Cool, thanks 😊 Let me know what you think of the choices.
Thanks for the inclusion! It was so difficult to narrow it down wasn’t it? I think a top 50 would still be a struggle!
How about Sesame Street, Crazy ex-girlfriend, Grizzly Adams, and (super cheesy though it was) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
For non lyrics one: NCIS LA, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Downtown Abbey and Airwolf
All great choices. Like I said, it was really tough to narrow it down. Maybe I’ll do a Part 2
Oh no! Not Doctor Who? The Firefly theme song? There are so many! Have a great day, Phil!
I thought about Dr. Who but I’m partial to theme songs with lyrics
Ah, ok. Gillian’s island, maybe? 😜
Yes! I loved Gilligan’s Island! Just the other day I was thinking about looking it up on Netflix
Silliest premise ever, but awesomely entertaining!
We’ve watched the exact same television for the last 50 years. Funny!
I know! 😃
I would add only one to the list and that would be the theme for Game of Thrones,even if it’s not a song. It’s sheer brilliance!
I’m not a Game of Thrones watcher yet, but a few people have already suggested that. I may have to do a Part 2 for this list to include all the great suggestions. Thanks Ahdad!
Don’t watch season 1…or if you do, watch it alone. Consider yourself warned.
What, no Muppet Show?!?! “It’s time to play the music, it’s time to light the lights…”
Arguably the greatest TV theme song. Ever.
You’re psychic or just have good taste. The Muppet Show almost made the list and if I included two more, it would have made it
Hawaii 5-0, both old and new. The Blue Bloods theme was my ring tone before I switched phones lol. Any of the CSI themes, all Who songs. I’m sure there are many others. You’d probably hit 50 easily
Oh yeah, Hawaii 5-0! Which makes me think of Barnaby Jones too
Yes!! there really are so many out there. The Andy Griffith Show (forgot if you named that one)
No, I didn’t put Andy Griffith but that’s a classic too.
Great call on Hawaii 5-0!
Good call on Hawaii 5-0. That’s a classic. If I were to do a Top 20 that would be on the list.
Your list is good, I must admit it
But there’s one that you omitted
The Jeffersons should get a prize
For movin on up to the East Side.
CSI…Who are you? My mom and I watched this show together and always sang along.
Yes, a good song, but it wasn’t written as a TV show theme song. So that’s why it gets disqualified.
Out on a technicality…
The Andy Griffith Show?
I never watch the show, but I do know the song, which makes it probably worthy of being included. The whistling was pretty iconic. I think I’m going to do another top 10 list or a part two of this. I can see Andy Griffith making that cut.
Awesome! I have been whistling it all morning
I am going to do a second list of best TV show theme songs in a week or two. There’s been so many good suggestions that I can’t just limited to 10.
Great post and I think you nailed it. I woud only add CSI’s “Who are You?” by the Who if there was eleven.
But Who Are You? isn’t a show theme song. I love the song but ruled it out because it existed previously and was just borrowed by CSI. A lot of people have been suggesting that one though. I think I will do a Part 2 to the list sometime soon
Should have read the comments.Already mentioned
And I replied to your first comment without reading the second
Ha ha ha.
All the way through I was like..yup, yup and wondering oh no, where’s Cheers and there it was at number one yay! Have you heard the theme to The Littlest Hobo?
Nope. Never heard The Littlest Hobo. I’ve heard of the show but haven’t heard the song
Go check for it, it’s the best!
Pingback: Top Ten Tuesday! Ten More Best TV Show Theme Songs | The Phil Factor